Equality A Diversity A Inclusion

Back to top of page


Vocal LogoVocal stands for "Voices Of Carers Across the Lothians"

Vocal provide information to unpaid carers.

An unpaid carer is a person who looks after a relative, partner, neighbour or friend who needs support because of age, physical or learning disability, or illness, including mental health problems.

Providing care can range from visiting every day to make sure someone is okay, doing a weekly shop for someone, to being there 24 hours a day and providing personal care.

  • Practical support on issues such as taking on a caring role, accessing services, your health and well-being, welfare benefits and managing household bills, legal matters and specialist services,
  • Support to take a break from your caring role,
  • Access to training and events and social groups,
  • Counselling,
  • Support if you are affected by someone else’s drug or alcohol use.

Contact Details:

VOCAL Midlothian, Carers Centre,
30/1 Hardengreen Estate,
Eskbank EH22 3NX.
www.vocal.org.uk The office is open Monday to Friday 9 am – 5 pm.
Tel: Telephone logo 0131-663 6869
Email: email symbol midlothian@vocal.org.uk
Website: www.vocal.org.uk/midlothian
Website: www.weebreaks.org
facebook logo Facebook.com/MidlothianCarers

Support for young carers

Carers and Carer’s Assessments

If you are caring for a disabled child or additional support needs you have a right to an assessment of your needs. This can be arranged by contacting the Children and Families team. Young Carers

If you are a young carer you can ask for an assessment of your needs. This assessment will look at how caring for someone affects you now and how it might affect your future. An assessment could help you get some support. You might be helping to look after:

  • Your mum or dad,
  • Your brother or sister,
  • Someone with an illness or disability,
  • Someone with an alcohol or drug problem.

If you would like to discuss your situation please contact Dalkeith Social Work Centre on Tel: Telephone logo 0131 271 3860

Young Carers website www.children1st.org.uk

What is a Carer’s Assessment?

Carers who provide unpaid care on a regular basis to an adult or child with a frailty, illness and/or disability have a right to an assessment of their needs.

You can ask social work or health services for a Carer’s Assessment. The assessment will look at your needs in relation to the person you care for. We will listen to your views on services that will help you care.

Alternatively you can carry out your own assessment of need. You can download a Carers Assessment Form, or pick one up from your local social work office, or from Vocal Carers Centre.

Children and Families

11 St Andrew Street,
Midlothian, EH22 1AL
Tel: Telephone logo 0131 271 3860
Email: email symbol swc&fenquiries@midlothian.gov.uk

    Looking for something please use this function to Search Forward Mid website