Rapid Response is now called MERRIT (Midlothian Emergency Rapid Response Intervention Team)
Who are the MERRIT Team?
The MERRIT team are a team of health and social service professionals working in partnership with Voice of Carers Across Lothian (VOCAL) Midlothian
What is the role of the MERRIT Team?
Our role is to work together with people who may be experiencing a crisis situation, and their carers.
What is the aim of the MERRIT Team?
Our aim is to:
- Support people to live independently at home and avoid hospital admissions
- Help people to come home from hospital as early as possible with the right support
- Avoid admissions to hospital or a care home by providing help and support in your home
- Support you or the person you care for to come home from hospital as early as possible with the right help and support. This could include a short stay at a care home facility to assist with their recovery and improve their independence
- Support carers if there is a sudden crisis, eg if you, as a carer, are taken ill
This support will be provided for up to six weeks.
We provide support using joint working. Our team includes district nurses, occupational therapists, physiotherapists, social workers, home care workers and support workers.
Who can use the MERRIT Team service?
The service is open to people who are over the age of 16 who are finding it difficult to stay at home or return home from hospital.
If you have been referred to the service, this could be because of one or more of the following reasons:
- You are suddenly less able to move or function
- Your long-term condition has become worse. Examples of long-term conditions are Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD), asthma, arthritis, heart disease
- You are at risk of falling
- Your unpaid carer is not able to provide the support you need
- There is a need for a short term home care service
If you are a carer you can access the service for any of the above reasons.
What support can we offer?
- Equipment and technology for your homes to make it easier to live independently
- Rehabilitation - for example access to physiotherapy and occupational therapy to improve daily living skills and independence
- Nursing assessment and input if needed
- Home care support available 07:00 to 22:00, 7 days a week to support this care
- Support for carers from VOCAL Midlothian.
All support will be available for up to six weeks.
Midlothian Council Adult Social Care team
8 Lothian Road,
Dalkeith, EH22 3AA
Tel: 0131 271 3900
The emergency Midlothian Council contact centre services can be contacted outwith office hours Tel: 0800 731 6969
Looking for something please use this function to Search Forward Mid website