Equality A Diversity A Inclusion

Back to top of page


Two local colleges provide vocational learning and work placements. Midlothian Council provides Community learning. Creating opportunities for Edinburgh and the Lothians

Edinburgh college logo

Edinburgh College

Edinburgh College is one of Scotland’s biggest Colleges with around 20,000 students across 4 campuses in Edinburgh and the Lothians.

Offering a wide variety of vibrant vocational and academic courses, Edinburgh College provides flexible learning opportunities to suit all learning needs.

Whatever path you choose we offer over 900 courses from access to degree level and continuing professional development to help you achieve your future career ambitions.

Our academic centres have skilled, knowledgeable staff with expertise in specialist areas with industry experience to ensure our students have the most relevant and up to date teaching. The curriculum is designed to meet the needs of industry and we are continually committed to the highest academic standards and excellence in learning and teaching.

Edinburgh College have established relationships with employers and universities to create a connected community that provides you with strong links to work or further study.

Edinburgh College are committed to ensuring our students are prepared for successful careers through work placements, internships and connections to industry.

99% of our successful full-time students move on to work or further study within six months (93% to further study and 6% into employment). Edinburgh College aim to develop a college that enables our students, our staff and our local communities to thrive.

Edinburgh College are committed to equality of opportunity and to a culture that respects difference. Edinburgh College believe that, as an employer and public body, Edinburgh College can play a leading part in the promotion of equality and diversity more widely. Edinburgh College recognise that equality of access to education is crucial in unlocking many significant opportunities in life.

Edinburgh College work in partnership with a number of organizations, including Midlothian Council Joint Physical Disability Planning Group, to help advance equality of opportunity for disabled people.

Edinburgh College Equality Outcomes

In April 2017 Edinburgh College published planned Equality Outcomes. These include outcomes related to disability and can be seen on Edinburgh College website via the following link: www.edinburghcollege.ac.uk/Welcome/Governance/College-Policies/Equality-Diversity-and-Inclusion

Edinburgh College equality priorities have been published for the next 4 years. For more information please contact the College Equalities Manager, email symbol Susan.Inglis@edinburgh college.ac.uk, Tel: Telephone logo 0131 559 4086.

Edinburgh College campuses

At Edinburgh College Estates work planning incorporates improvements identified as necessary by accessibility audits, and on-going feedback from our staff, students and other stakeholders. Some examples of work carried out over a 3 year period are -

  • Granton - Renewal of Induction Loop systems equipment in common areas such as reception, LRC reception desks and lecture theatres, and more recently in the newly refurbished computer based rooms.
  • Granton - Updated signage at accessible doors at main entrances in main campus building and improved college way-finding boards within college
  • The Radar National Key Scheme key offers disabled people independent access to the 9,000 accessible locked toilets around the country. Providers of disabled toilets fit Radar locks to ensure their facilities are in good condition. This system has been installed in two of the accessible changing facilities at Granton campus and its address has been included in Radar’s national directory as a venue for such facilities.
  • These facilities at Granton Campus and a toilet at Sighthill campus have also been equipped with hoists, changing beds etc. so as to meet the criteria to be classed as “Changing Places” toilets by the Changing Places Consortium. The application was made through partnership working with PAMIS.
  • At Milton Road campus, a side access to Bolam House has been installed to make it more accessible to people with mobility problems as they will have less walking distance to the building.
  • Accessible parking bays – increased enforcement of bays by college facilities staff and Smart Parking has been recently been introduced in order to enforce these bays at all our campuses.

Edinburgh College curriculum

Edinburgh College offer courses across a range of subjects:

  • Business
  • Creative Industries, including computing
  • Engineering
  • Construction and Building Crafts
  • Health, Wellbeing and Social Sciences
  • Tourism and Hospitality

Courses for session 2017/18 will open for application in January 2017. Please view our courses at: www.edinburghcollege.ac.uk/

If you would like discuss course options or need help to make your course application, please contact the course information team Tel: Telephone logo 0131 660 1010 or Email: email symbol courseinfo@edinburghcollege.ac.uk

Edinburgh College Student Services

Student Support

For some people, coming to college can be a daunting experience – particularly if it is some time since you were last ‘in education’ or if you have had bad experiences at school or another college. Experience has shown us that support early in your course can make a big difference.

Edinburgh College Midlothian CampusSupport includes help with:

  • Organising yourself
  • Reading efficiently
  • Taking notes
  • Information gathering
  • Giving presentations
  • Writing reports
  • Essay writing
  • Revision techniques
  • Exam skills
  • Memory skills
  • Planning projects
  • Using the library

For some students, learning is made more challenging as a result of a specific learning difficulty or a disability that requires specialist support. If you are one of these people, our team of Student Support staff can offer you Extended Learning Support and confidential guidance.

Difficulties may be associated with dyslexia, attention deficit disorder, dyspraxia, sensory impairment, social or emotional difficulties, health problems, mental health problems or mobility difficulties. As well as this, Edinburgh College are able to assist students who qualify for the Disabled Students Allowance with the completion of their application form and advise them on supportive technology. Formal assessments for the DSA are carried out in College.

At Edinburgh College our friendly, approachable and experienced staff are here to give you the confidence, knowledge and skills to develop and succeed in your chosen career.

Our Student Advice and Support teams are here to help you with all aspects of life at Edinburgh College. You can take advantage of many of the services before you come to College so please contact us at any time for details Email: email symbol student.support@edinburghcollege.ac.uk

Student Advice

Edinburgh College have student advisors at each campus who are dedicated to helping you throughout your time at Edinburgh College. You can find our student advice teams on the ground floor on each campus. Pop in at any time or contact us Tel: Telephone logo 0131 669 4400.

Our advisors offer information on:

  • courses
  • student finance and funding
  • childcare
  • accommodation

Our friendly, experienced team will help you with any questions you have about being at college.

Student Funding and Fees

When you are considering starting college, one of the most important issues to consider is funding and how you intend to pay for some of the costs that come with being a student.

Our advisors are happy to discuss your individual circumstances, help you with a financial “health check” and budgeting advice and to advise you on how to apply for funds. Some of the funds you may be able to apply for include:

  • Tuition fees
  • Bursaries & EMAs
  • Loans
  • Discretionary (hardship) funds
  • Childcare funds
  • Expenses and benefits.

Don’t let financial worries get in the way of your studies. Edinburgh College can give you practical, confidential advice on your situation and help you to start sorting the problems out. Remember, Edinburgh College are here to help you!

Edinburgh College have a list of frequently asked questions regarding fees and funding. If you have any questions or concerns that are not addressed here or about any money matters please contact us Tel: Telephone logo 0131 669 4400 or visit our website at www.edinburghcollege.ac.uk/Student-Life/Student-Funding-And-Fees

Edinburgh College staff vacancies

Edinburgh College want our Edinburgh College workforce to represent the diversity of Scottish society and the communities Edinburgh College work in.

Edinburgh College welcome applications from all sections of the community irrespective of age, disability, gender re-assignment, marital/civil partnership status, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex and sexual orientation.

Two Ticks symbolAs users of the Two Ticks disability symbol, Edinburgh College guarantee to interview all disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for any vacancy.

Current vacancies at the College are now listed on MyJobScotland website, including Job Descriptions and an Online Application Form. Link to MyJobScotland website is: https://admin.myjobscotland.gov.uk/education/edinburgh-college

Newbattle Abbey College

Newbattle Abbey College Logo Newbattle Abbey College welcomes applications from disabled people and additional support requirements. We aim to provide support to help all learners to achieve their full potential.

Newbattle Abbey College is Scotland’s only residential adult education college, offering adults with few or no qualifications the chance to study in our historic setting. We offer an Arts and Humanities Award on a full-time or part-time basis, as well as a range of short courses and community events. The college also has excellent facilities for conferences, training events, weddings and social functions.

Newbattle Abbey College,
Newbattle Road,
EH22 3LL
Tel: Telephone logo 0131 663 1921
Email: email symbol office@newbatleabbeycollege.ac.uk

Midlothian Council Lifelong Learning & Employability

Loge for Lifelong Learning & EmployabilityLifelong Learning & Employability is part of the Education Service of Midlothian Council. Lifelong Learning & Employability support young people, adults and families to improve their life chances through the development of skills for learning, life and work. This consists of universal provision which is open to all and targeted provision which may be delivered for specific groups such as parents/carers, young people not engaging in school, disabilities groups etc and work with key partners to implement initiatives such as Developing Scotland’s Young Workforce, Positive Destinations and Employability.

Work with adults:

Lifelong Learning & Employability deliver a range of employability support options, courses and training including ICT and European Computer Driving Licence qualifications, Care Academy, Work Club, Job Clubs, Construction Skills Certification Scheme Training and Modern Apprenticeships.

Lifelong Learning & Employability offer one to one support and community based provision in core skills such as literacy, numeracy, IT and English for Speakers of Other Languages (ESOL) and refugees. On offer is lipreading classes for those with acquired hearing loss.

Community based adult learning (CBAL) programmes run throughout Midlothian from first step courses to SQA qualifications. The main aim is to provide a first step back into learning, pathways to further learning or employability provided in locally accessible venues. These courses are offered in a wide range of subjects including childcare and family support, IT, health and wellbeing and employability related courses including job clubs. They are mainly free or low cost with crèche support provided.

Lifelong Learning & Employability also deliver adult learning through Aim High Learning Offer with an annual programme of certificated and non-certificated programmes delivered mainly in Dalkeith Campus, Lasswade Centre, Penicuik and Beeslack High Schools. Lifelong Learning & Employability work closely with Progress Through Learning Midlothian to provide support locally to those who want to move on in their learning, go to college or prepare for university or other accredited study.

The Focus Team provides one to one support for adults aged 16-64 years who wish to get into work, training or learning but face some barriers such as a disability or heath related issue. The team can also deliver and develop small groups and courses to help you build up your skills, gain confidence, complete job applications and CV’s, prepare for interview and job coaching. You can be referred by another agency or do this yourself. Please contact llefocus@midlothian.gov.uk Tel: Telephone logo 0131 271 3713 Lifelong Learning & Employability work jointly with Midlothian Joint Mental Health Team to support those who have mental health issues and want to work to gain confidence, skills and employment.

Work with Young People:

Lifelong Learning & Employability work with young people in a variety of ways. Through Activity Agreements provide one to one tailored support for young people who are not in education, training or employment to enable them to take their next steps. Lifelong Learning & Employability provide learning and employability pathways in a variety of curriculum areas such as music, rural skills, childcare, sport and wellbeing, admin and IT, hair and beauty, retail etc. These allow young people to build up skills and confidence and access further education, training and employment opportunities.

Lifelong Learning & Employability work in schools to support positive transitions for young people and families through groupwork, co-ordinating school work experience programmes, supporting young people to achieve positive destinations when they leave school. Lifelong Learning & Employability lead the Developing Midlothian’s Young Workforce Board where Lifelong Learning & Employability work with other Council services and a wide range of partners including employers and Skills Development Scotland to secure positive destinations for young people and address the skills gap.

Lifelong Learning & Employability engage with young people on the streets and in universal and targeted youth clubs and other provision, recognise their achievements through Awards Schemes, develop young people’s voice and influence through youth participation, offer volunteering opportunities.

Work with families

Lifelong Learning & Employability offer a range of family learning opportunities where parents/carers and children learn together in a variety of subject areas including arts and crafts, languages, Learn with Fred and supporting your child with homework.

Tel: Telephone logo 0131 271 3713
Email: email symbol lle@midlothian.gov.uk
Facebook logo : www.facebook.com/LLEMidlothian
Twitter Logo : twitter.com/LLEadult_family
Wordpress blog logo : lleadultsfamilies.wordpress.com/

Employment and Learning Midlothian (ELM)

ELM is a recently formed partnership group bringing together Midlothian Employment Action Network (MEAN) and Midlothian Adult Learning Partnership (MALP). A range of partners work together including Midlothian Council, Job Centre, local colleges and universities, other adult learning and employment services and employers to improve the chances of local people getting a job or progressing into training and learning including further and higher education. The network does not offer direct services to the public but works collectively to ensure that services are co-ordinated and planned and local people are supported to gain skills for learning, life and work.

Further information from Karen McGowan Tel: Telephone logo 0131 271 3708 karen.mcgowan@midlothian.gov.uk

    Looking for something please use this function to Search Forward Mid website